Longacre Racing Products




"Three National Championships"

Article By: Race Tech Development

September 18, 2012 - With Grand National eagles and World Karting Association (WKA) Manufacturer's Cup championships on the line, P1 Engines and a host of their customers would make the trek to New Castle, Indiana. With the Grand National final round taking place at the ultra fast New Castle Motorsports Park facility, P1 Engines would once again rise to the top and show their strength in multiple different racing divisions.

Saturday's TaG 1 class was all Tommy Andersen as the future champion improved throughout the day to score the main event victory. Taking the lead early in the final, Andersen never looked back and went on to claim the Grand National Championship along with the WKA National Championship that goes to the driver obtaining the most points over the course of the series.

In the Leopard Only class, it was another P1 Engines powered driver that would take the title as Mason Chelootz would overcome his dismal qualifying effort to cross the line in seventh which was just good enough to take the overall national title. Fellow P1 Engines powered pilot Mark Boos grabbed his best result of the weekend with a second place effort.

Komet driver Jonathon Kotyk showed the speed to win throughout the weekend in both the Komet Lite and Heavy classes, but last lap battles would neglect him from scoring the win. Falling to the tail of the field in Komet Heavy, Kotyk rifled his way forward to take the lead in the closing laps. On the final lap, Kotyk would lead coming down the main straightaway but would fall victim to the draft and miss the win by a scant .008 seconds. In Komet Lite, a quartet of drivers would battle hard for the top spot and Kotyk looked as if he would have the lead on the exit of the final corner, but contact sent him off the track only a few yards from the finish line. Though not being able to challenge for the victory, P1 Engines powered Jarrett Duncovich would claim the fourth position in the overall title chase.

In Saturday's TaG Masters division, P1 Engines would claim two of three steps on the podium as John Ferris would cross the line in second and Scott Ferris would come home third. Sunday would prove to be a much better day for Scott as he went on to claim the pole position, heat race win and main event victory to sweep the day. John would fail to finish the main event but due to his previous results leading up to the final day of competition, he had garnered enough points to claim the overall title.

Sunday's TaG 2 main event was one for the ages, as four drivers would battle for the win. P1 Engines powered Chris Wehrheim looked to have the championship in his hands by taking the pole position and heat race win with his IAME X30, but disaster would strike in the final. After taking the lead early, Chris was driven over by a fellow competitor as both failed to finish the race. Texan Mason Chelootz looked to be out of contention for the title after having to start the main event in 39th, but drove through the field like a seasoned veteran. Moving into the top half of the field before the halfway point, Chelootz would eventually make it to the fifth position by the time the checkered flag had flown but was a few points short of claiming the title. Mark Boos would put a second P1 Engines driver in the top five as he came home fourth.

425 Motorsports